Toribash
I think the show overreacted. Personally, I would have smacked myself for asking someone from deep Louisiana a question like that and expect something good. However, I think the same view I have on christian gay marriage applies: It's their club, they decide who's allowed in. I don't agree with the show's decision, but it's their right to fire an actor for whatever reason they please.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that they would have responded differently to the case if they'd known what kind of shitstorm this would evoke.
f=m*a syens
Originally Posted by -Cyri- View Post
It also says in the old testament that you're suppose to stone gay people to death, and stone men who cheat on their wife to death.

It also says to love everyone, even your enemy. Kind of ironic and hypocritical if you ask me.

It is neither ironic nor hypocritical. The intolerant are a group of people that must be tolerated in the same way that everyone else is tolerated.
Ancient [Evil]
Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
I think the show overreacted. Personally, I would have smacked myself for asking someone from deep Louisiana a question like that and expect something good.

This.

This guy doesn't hide who he is or what he's about. He is from the Deep South and has expressed he is very religious. I don't think his answer should have shocked anyone. I also think removing him from the show and merchandise was an over reaction. But personally I think the lgbt community a long with most liberal Americans over react with anything/anyone that doesn't agree with their ideals.
I could go into the rhetorical argument that everyone can have an opinion, but not all opinions are created equal, but I suspect that a rhetorical argument won't convince anyone and/or will just cause everybody to say "nu uh my opinion isn't dumb". Along the same lines, I'm not going to probably convince people who believe homosexuality is wrong that it isn't. So I'll just go with the simple, and very valid reason why the company dropped him.

His right to an opinion does not protect him from his employer's right to control their image, specifically because he is paid to be an image for the company. He said something his employer doesn't agree with, the employer does not like the image he is presenting. He is no longer fulfilling the job requirements of the company, his job is rightfully in jeopardy.

An opinion is not an instant immunity from criticism or consequences. Opinions are protected from suppression, but not from critique.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
It is neither ironic nor hypocritical. The intolerant are a group of people that must be tolerated in the same way that everyone else is tolerated.

It is both ironic and hypocritical, if you understand what i'm saying.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "hate all those who believe in a a god" cause i'm nothing like that, I hate the people who treat their religion as the one and the only right religion, as no one knows what the end will be.

Sorry for turning this into a religious thing, back to the stupid hillbilly that everyone seems to care about for whatever reason.

Meep, cyri awayyyyy! ~o/
-----------
Also, well said oracle.
why tho
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
I could go into the rhetorical argument that everyone can have an opinion, but not all opinions are created equal, but I suspect that a rhetorical argument won't convince anyone and/or will just cause everybody to say "nu uh my opinion isn't dumb". Along the same lines, I'm not going to probably convince people who believe homosexuality is wrong that it isn't. So I'll just go with the simple, and very valid reason why the company dropped him.

His right to an opinion does not protect him from his employer's right to control their image, specifically because he is paid to be an image for the company. He said something his employer doesn't agree with, the employer does not like the image he is presenting. He is no longer fulfilling the job requirements of the company, his job is rightfully in jeopardy.

An opinion is not an instant immunity from criticism or consequences. Opinions are protected from suppression, but not from critique.

He'll most likely just release an official apology and be back on the show. The company is just minimizing damage right now. I give it 2 months at the most. People are to easily offended was my major point.
In addition to what I said, he compared gay people to terrorists.

No matter your opinion, comparing a gay person to someone who kills people is pretty fucked up and wrong.
--------------
Here's the whole story for those who care to read it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4465564.html

I tried my best but I couldn't find the part where he compares them to terrorists.

Though, as someone who went to a Christian school, I know all sin is equal, homosexuals and terrorists are equal in the eyes of God. Though so is the guy who told a child that Santa is real, that's just the way Christianity works, some sin is not better than others.
It also says in the old testament that you're suppose to stone gay people to death, and stone men who cheat on their wife to death.

It also says to love everyone, even your enemy. Kind of ironic and hypocritical if you ask me.

False dichotomy.

Originally Posted by Beast View Post

I completely agree.

He disagrees with homosexuality yet is willing to respect others regardless. Why is it impossible for us to show him the same in return?
He's not even intolerant, he just disagrees - he is very tolerant...

If he was pro-homosexuality, that's not tolerance, how can you tolerate something you are /for/?

Along the same lines, I'm not going to probably convince people who believe homosexuality is wrong that it isn't. So I'll just go with the simple, and very valid reason why the company dropped him.

You aren't trying to convince him homosexuality is fine, you are trying to convince him that his religion is wrong.

I'm not sure the rest of the world has this concept. Everyone's used to USA firing some guy over a twitter comment, despite him being able to fulfill his job because "it doesn't fit the company image". But be aware that to everyone else this is insane.

I like that it was fairly implicit that a southern Christian wouldn't approve of homosexuality, yet when he actually said "It doesn't appeal to me, but I still respect them" they got all up in arms.
Last edited by ImmortalPig; Dec 25, 2013 at 04:19 AM.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
I tried my best but I couldn't find the part where he compares them to terrorists.

Though, as someone who went to a Christian school, I know all sin is equal, homosexuals and terrorists are equal in the eyes of God. Though so is the guy who told a child that Santa is real, that's just the way Christianity works, some sin is not better than others.

False dichotomy.

I was raised a christian, I've read both books, It's not false dichotomy.

I didn't mention anything to start a religious war, I stated my thoughts on how Christianity is flawed and is very contradicting to itself.

So please, don't continue the argument as I did not intend to start an argument.
why tho
I was raised a christian, I've read both books, It's not false dichotomy.

You can't just pick and choose which parts of the bible you want to believe in or which commandments you want to follow, it does not work like that.
I didn't mention anything to start a religious war, I stated my thoughts on how Christianity is flawed and is very contradicting to itself.

Christianity does not contradict itself, I assume you are referring to:

In which case, Robertson is right on the money. You should not approve of sin, but you should respect other people.

He is 100% correct, it's not his job to judge people, that's God's job.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
You can't just pick and choose which parts of the bible you want to believe in or which commandments you want to follow, it does not work like that.

Christianity does not contradict itself, I assume you are referring to:

In which case, Robertson is right on the money. You should not approve of sin, but you should respect other people.

He is 100% correct, it's not his job to judge people, that's God's job.

Picking and choosing is a good choice of words considering that's what most christians do.

I don't approve of sin, did it sound like I did? o.o if so I didn't mean to sound like it.

If you'd like to take it to pms we can talk there, might be easier than spamming up a thread
why tho