Toribash
Yeah, it's definitely a noble thing, following the 'philosopher's path'. I don't know if it's a mentally healthy, though (believing that it's better to not exist (or be 'body-less') than to exist at all).

I think you've got the wrong idea about happiness though, you might be confusing it with hedonism. Happiness isn't restricted to vices. You can get happiness from being in a loving relationship and having a beautiful family and good friends. You can get happiness from artistic pursuits. You can even get it from internal sources (as opposed to the aforementioned external sources) through practices like meditation and counting your blessings. It's not all cocaine and hookers.

So what if death ends everything? Life's about the journey. I'm not going to stop being happy just because I know I'll die one day and then I'll no longer be able to feel happy (or feel anything else for that matter). Death is a part of life and knowing I'll die one day certainly doesn't invalidate devoting my life to achieving happiness.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Maybe we're living a computer simulation, like Elon Musk thinks (he reckons there's a 1 in a billion chance that we aren't). Maybe we're players in this simulation and if we die, maybe we return to 'base reality'. Or maybe there's only one person in this world who's the real player and we're all super-sentient NPCs, and when we die we just cease to exist. Maybe there are no players, and the simulation continues regardless of all our deaths.

Nobody knows, but it's fun to imagine that when I die, I'll take off some VR headset (or whatever) and continue on with my base reality day.

Yea i always thought that i'm the only person that can actually be thinking or something like that. I shared that with a couple of friends and they all said they experienced the same thing.
YO WHO IS YOU B?
No one knows what happens after death until now!!!

You rot and decay ggnore

in all seriousness though, I agree with shook in that there is nothing in the afterlife and I'm pretty sure I'm wrong

am I the only one who looks forward to dieing? not suicidal I'm content to die normally
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Moderated Message:
Be more straightforward with your uplifting messages or I'll fucking skin you alive.
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
No one knows what happens after death until now!!!

You rot and decay ggnore

in all seriousness though, I agree with shook in that there is nothing in the afterlife and I'm pretty sure I'm wrong

am I the only one who looks forward to dieing? not suicidal I'm content to die normally

Maybe it would depend the way you die. I was told that if you kill yourself you will most likely be going to hell because "You wasted the life that god has given you". Not that i don't agree with it but at the same time i don't think that all that happens is you rot when you die. Like Virus said the least thing you could do is turn into a ghost. Hunt some people here and then live a ghostly life.
YO WHO IS YOU B?
Eh, i'm not depressed enough to look forward to death, but i have come to terms with the fact that i will die one day. :v
As Stephen Hawking once said, probably heavily paraphrased: I believe that we only get this one chance at life, and for that i am extremely grateful. Let that sink in for a moment; STEPHEN HAWKING, AKA that smart dude who's been paralyzed for 50 years due to a horrible disease, is happy to be alive. I mean, why would i look forward to literally nothing? Life's where everything happens for you, post-mortem you're basically resigned to being fertilizer. Ain't much fun in that. :P
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
Okay guys, if we have a religion, just do what the religion tells you to do : ) Live a good life, make good memories, ye. : )

Would be cool if I become a ghost tho
3698 PM me if you want to see a secret.
i honestly believe in reincarnation, i mean, there is energy stored in us, and that energy needs to be somewhere after we die.

we're just going to have to figure it out ourselves once we perish.
maybe later
Originally Posted by Oxblix View Post
i honestly believe in reincarnation, i mean, there is energy stored in us, and that energy needs to be somewhere after we die.

we're just going to have to figure it out ourselves once we perish.

There is also energy in the vegetable scraps, rats, and dead toads that I put in my compost heap. It gets turned mostly into energy in the soil and a little bit of heat.
Sure everything is energy and energy can't be destroyed but it's facile to say that life = energy or that your energy somehow goes to another living thing when you die (reincarnation).
As an extension to what Solax says, the energy in our bodies is mostly just chemical, thermal and a tiny bit of electrical energy. Once we die, the electricity fizzles out, we stop generating heat, and the thermal energy in our bodies just diffuses into the surroundings. The chemical energy will, in large part, just get lapped up by plants and microorganisms, and after that, there's little more than bones left (which are apparently ungainly enough to process that they can be dug up after thousands of years).

That said, exactly what happens after death doesn't matter too much, since we have no way of knowing anything beyond what can be observed. The important part is to come to terms with the inevitability of it, and if the belief in an afterlife helps, well, i don't see a problem with that. ¯\(°_o)/¯
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol