Toribash
Originally Posted by aslask View Post
And oh, would you mind posting some constructive criticism, instead of that destructive one you just posted? Would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Firstly, take what I've already said into account.

Secondly, try making some proper borders. I don't understand what people find so attractive about a black line of apparently random weight bordering two sides of an image but not the other two. It only enhances how messy the sharp cut-off on the other two sides looks.

Text is in a boring font and is horribly placed; I don't see why you saw it necessary to apply it at all.

The background looks as if you've applied a few dozen filters to the image itself to heavily distort it, and then copypasted that in as a background to the render itself. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what you have done, as it's a fairly commonly used technique for preserving the render's colour scheme in the background.

Also, regardless of what you say, I shall consider any image that you include in another image without designing the first image with that intention in mind a copypaste.
"Call yourself alive? I promise you you'll be deafened by dust falling on the furniture,
you'll feel your eyebrows turning to two gashes, and your shoulder blades will ache for want of wings."
Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
Firstly, take what I've already said into account.

Secondly, try making some proper borders. I don't understand what people find so attractive about a black line of apparently random weight bordering two sides of an image but not the other two. It only enhances how messy the sharp cut-off on the other two sides looks.

Text is in a boring font and is horribly placed; I don't see why you saw it necessary to apply it at all.

The background looks as if you've applied a few dozen filters to the image itself to heavily distort it, and then copypasted that in as a background to the render itself. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what you have done, as it's a fairly commonly used technique for preserving the render's colour scheme in the background.

Also, regardless of what you say, I shall consider any image that you include in another image without designing the first image with that intention in mind a copypaste.

There you go! Thanks a lot.

The cinema border is boring, I know. I was just fed up with the sig at the moment, and needed to add a border.

Yeah, the text is seriously lame. It's the worlds most meh font and I didn't bother starting with paths to make it flow.

On the background, however, you are wrong. I made a pallet with 16 different colors from the dominant color scheme, went nuts with brushes and found that it looked ugly. Then I puzzled around with the colors set up by saturation and smudged the background till it had mainly the same color scheme. Using the pic itself as a background can only work in a grunge signature.

And yes- it is a copy+paste. I tried to pull a joke with GIMP's drag'n'drop tool, but it most certainly didn't fall in good hands (Because it was a lame joke). A signature like this is often copy+paste. Making a character or such to place there yourself is very time-consuming.

Sorry if this seems like an attempt to start an argument, but it is simply my way of obtaining criticism. That was good criticism, no doubt, but I have to make a post like this to let it sink in. Thanks for your understanding.
Originally Posted by aslask View Post
On the background, however, you are wrong. I made a pallet with 16 different colors from the dominant color scheme, went nuts with brushes and found that it looked ugly. Then I puzzled around with the colors set up by saturation and smudged the background till it had mainly the same color scheme. Using the pic itself as a background can only work in a grunge signature.

Interesting. I'm not used to people making an effort. What strikes me as a problem here is that the render itself takes up the vast majority of the canvas space; there's very little room for anyone to discern what the background actually involves. I'd imagine that a render such as the source would work better on a larger canvas (ie something wallpaper size).
"Call yourself alive? I promise you you'll be deafened by dust falling on the furniture,
you'll feel your eyebrows turning to two gashes, and your shoulder blades will ache for want of wings."
Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
Interesting. I'm not used to people making an effort. What strikes me as a problem here is that the render itself takes up the vast majority of the canvas space; there's very little room for anyone to discern what the background actually involves. I'd imagine that a render such as the source would work better on a larger canvas (ie something wallpaper size).

Indeed it would. If this was a couple of months earlier I would probably make something more wallpaper-oriented of this as well. But now, I haven't made signatures in ages, only wild fail attempts at textures. And now I found out again how fun signatures are, so I will probably be spewing out signatures the near future, and I count on you to give me good criticism!