Ranking
Originally Posted by Snook View Post
This is an interesting thread, I've always been into watching speedruns but never attempted them before. wanna give some tips for aspiring runners?

Speedrun games you really like/have a lot of knowledge about. It's also best to start off with games that aren't too long. i.e. don't start with RPGs like Final Fantasy. Also practice. A lot of practice.

Also if we're discussing Speedrunning, we should also bring up TASes as well. For people who don't know what a TAS is, it stands for Tool Assisted Speedrun/Superplay. It's when you go into an emulator and slow a game down frame by frame to get the most optimal time in a game. Most of the time the end result is some of the most ridiculous gameplay you will ever witness.

I'll use F-Zero GX as an example, since I follow/participate in speedrunning in that game. I'll post the Maxspeed WR, and I'll post the TAS version of the same track.

Maxspeed WR

TAS of the same track (motion sickness warning)

Anyways I speedrun F-Zero GX. Most of my times are pretty decent (a couple of them are within a couple seconds of WR. By F-Zero GX standards, that's somewhat impressive. Most people are usually within 10-20 seconds off WR on some tracks (sometimes longer). At some point, I'll make a spreadsheet of my times, as well as a brief description of the advanced techniques used... and there are A LOT of them. I don't have a capture card, so I can't really record my runs unless you want to see shitty phone quality video.

I also follow Ocarina of Time speedruns, since they're pretty neat to watch (mainly 100%) and Majoras Mask (any%)
Last edited by Rfifan; Feb 27, 2016 at 12:08 AM.
RIP [duck] Aug 28 2011 - April 20 2020