Toribash
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
Why should I educate myself in the art of the evasion of reality?

be careful in so superficially dismissing one side of a debate, as it only naturally leads me to wonder if you have even spent time examining both sides, or if you are just too immature to do so.

Craig has a PhD in philosophy, and I think you would find his works very new and interesting, seeing as you already have an interest in this topic. 'reasonable faith' is his flagship book, and I highly recommend it for you.

there are good books on the other side, too. I would stay away from the 'popular' atheists like Dawkins or Hitchens, and recommend other established philosophers and people like Shook, Antony, etc.

That title is an oxymoron. But I'll wiki it.

nope, it's not an oxymoron. But I hope you find something
in it worth your time.
Last edited by BlakNWyte; Feb 28, 2010 at 01:33 AM.
Eh, Dawkins is a biologist, not a philosopher. So if you want philosophical arguments against some religion, it's not the place to look. For that you can go with John Shook or Sam Harris.
Why should I educate myself in the art of the evasion of reality?

Because more intelligent men than you have kindly published their views on it. Although from that post it looks like you haven't studied the philosophy surrounding religion in much depth at all, so i would recommend reading the views of those who have in order to help you develop an educated opinion.
Originally Posted by BlakNWyte View Post
nope, it's not an oxymoron.

Reason and faith contradict eachother.

Originally Posted by H4rl3quin View Post
Because more intelligent men than you have kindly published their views on it. Although from that post it looks like you haven't studied the philosophy surrounding religion in much depth at all, so i would recommend reading the views of those who have in order to help you develop an educated opinion.

I already have my educated opinion on religion. I see no reason to furthur expose myself to irrationality.
Reason and faith contradict eachother.

I don't think that you're taking into account what Craig himself means when he uses the term reasonable faith. Faith doesn't seem to be used to refer to belief without reason. He has written various papers trying to give some kind of justification to theistic belief in general, and Christian belief in particular.

I already have my educated opinion on religion. I see no reason to furthur expose myself to irrationality.

Can you name one argument for Christianity?
Here's one off the top of my head, 'The Will to Believe' by William James.
Now I ask you to either post book recommendations that I would consider reading or stop posting irrelevent arguments in my thread and leave.
I'm disappointed in the quality of the example you provided, and must say the sample of arguments you choose to educate yourself are very poor examples compared to the ones in Craig's book. I guarantee you, you would be thoroughly pleased with the content even if you heinously disagree with all the points. This is my last word on it.

Maybe we did stray a little off course, and it was perhaps irrelevant to the OP, but it's by no means illegal. I was kind of hoping you would reply to my post, but I respect your request and will stop arguing these little matters.

By the way, I did suggest you some atheist/naturalist authors that you would find interesting, or did you happen to look over that?
Originally Posted by BlakNWyte View Post
By the way, I did suggest you some atheist/naturalist authors that you would find interesting, or did you happen to look over that?

I probably haven't made myself clear so far, and I apologise for that. I do not want (or need) to read any more on the topic of religion.
Nevertheless, thanks for your suggestions.