Ranking
not very good early game means that it's really hard for him to gank lanes since he has no gapcloser, only a speedboost, it's no use having good stats if he cant get in range to use them.
virtually, early game, you'll never get a gank off on someone like gnar or liss(popular toplaners atm) or LB or ahri(popular midlaners atm)
im good at league
i barely ever check this forum anymore, to reach me go to my twitter
Even in theoretically terrible lane match ups for sona, she has so many tools with almost no downside that it's still entirely possible to win those lanes without really trying. Sure, hard engage risks blowing her up, but if she abuses early game before any real threats appear, she should make it near impossible for any aggression from the enemy lane until they b. An aoe heal shield and a damage dealing, aa resetting, aoe aa steroid with the added ability to deal even more damage after she uses a few low cd spammable spells makes any opposing lane with no inate sustain lose the lane if she abuses her tools.

And it's damn hard to blow up a sona at level 2, even with blitz graves or leona graves or annie graves because she's basically just going to hide behind her caster minions until your adc walks up to farm. Blitz aint gonna be able to grab that without hitting level 3 for overdrive and powerfist pressure, annie could do it, but if the sona gets out, then she basically had a favorable trade because she's gonna just top herself up, and the same issue with leona.

And if you channelled all your damage on to sona and failed, chances are the enemy adc put down a lot of damage on you, so now you should be in a really bad position against any healbot. Your lane is probably at half health, while enemy adc at close to full or 3/4 while sona at 1/4 to 1/3. It will very quickly become your lane at 3/4 while enemy adc at full and sona at 3/4.

tl;dr: sona has a weakness, sure, but it's damn hard to take advantage of it because it's almost exclusively at early game where you can take advantage of it, and support items like sightstone make that window much smaller. plus she has a ridiculous power spike at levels 1 and 2, which make abusing that weakness very risky.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
while its true that if she doesn't die when caught early it can be very bad for you(unless you also have a supp with heal, then it's most likely okay) and that her laning phase is really strong, you're making it seem that she gradually gets stronger and stronger as the game goes on, imo its the opposite, the later it goes, the riskier it gets for her because it means that if she's caught later in the game she dies instantly,also its true that her ult is great in mid-lategame, but outside of that there really isn't much going on for her, her w is great for extended teamfights or fights that are being kited backwards, but if the teamfight ends fast(which most of times happens), her impact is pretty low overall unless she hits amazing ult
im good at league
i barely ever check this forum anymore, to reach me go to my twitter
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Clearly they weren't, as even a bad player should be able to beat somebody who is mechanically incapable of using the right spells. The fact that even with that handicap I could still fight even with them is either they're worse than bronze 5 despite being golds to diamonds, or there's little room for me to fuck up even if I am mashing buttons.

And that's the problem. There is no meaningful way to stop udyr or sona. They press buttons and stuff happens, whether you like it or not. The only thing that stops them is just being able to frontload more stats and numbers, and any outplay potential has to come solely from your own kit. If you have a champ with a one dimensional kit, you better pray it was one that hard counters fast tanky dueling splitpushers or siege disengage healer initiators because otherwise, if they get ahead, you're boned.

I dare you to try that against me. You would get punished so hard.
Also, the counterplay to sona is hard initiation early like leona or blitzcrank because she is so squishy and has no cc early. And udyr gets kited if the enemy team has any competence at all.

There's a reason udyr is sitting at lower than a 50% winrate, and sona is hovering just above it. They are decent champions but they definitely require skill to play and are in no ways "brainless".
Originally Posted by chaossook View Post
There's a reason udyr is sitting at lower than a 50% winrate, and sona is hovering just above it. They are decent champions but they definitely require skill to play and are in no ways "brainless".

Average winrate for any champ rarely goes > 10% difference from 50% winrate after stablizing. Winrates do not indicate anything about a champion's strength or viability or skill requirements. In fact, I could make a ton of stupid claims based on winrates that are in no way true. Examples, pre-rework viktor had 100% winrate in NA challenger, therefore pre-rework viktor was broken op. On release yasuo had less than 40% win rate, therefore on release yasuo was garbage and the subsequent nerfs only made him even more trash. Leblanc was the worst mid laner since forever since she frequently drops below 50% win rate. All of these statements are blatantly wrong.

And "counter pick" is different from "counter play". Picking hard engage against sona is a counter pick, having ways to play against somebody even when not counter picking them is counter play. Sona can be counter picked, albeit it's questionable because it risks backfiring heavily due to her advantages over no sustain, but counter play is severely lacking because the only way to not be effected by her is walking out of spell range, which is stupid as shit. That's not counterplay, that's accepting the fact that she will bend you over and smack you if you don't.

And optimal udyr is splitpusher. If he's getting kited, he's already doing something wrong because turrets can't move.

@Kat, I'm deliberately not talking about late game sona because the issues of champions and balance when it comes to teamfights is significantly different from balance in a laning perspective.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Well, I can tell you that she deals much morr damage than the adc in the early game. Hell, she can even duel some mid laners like Veigar if they only had 85%farm and 2 kills in lane. It's absurd.

And yes, I have done this plenty of times before.
"they're like enormous pillows of disgusting girly meat" ~Orih 2016
My Replays
Today was a good day.

Almost Diamond, the dream is alive.

~Rainbow Belt|[Tint]|Rank 32~
\:D/ RAINBOW PANDAAAAA \:D/
~GameMaster|BISH|GameGrad|ORMO|ToriPrime L-Mod~

ZinxGlowToastBondyLoxSwyneErth
[Bsns][Fr3styL][Colon3][One][SyN][Rvng]

Toribash World Championship 2011 Runner Up

<AlphasoniK> Kristis: What the fuck is wrong with you, rainbow loving panda freak.
Seriously, try to piss standing up for a change. No life girly pants dimwit.

heres a rare sight xD also i'm happy cause JINX SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN
THIS WAS ORIGINALLY THE WORST SIGNATURE EVER, FOR YOUR SAKE IT WAS FIXED. ~ Vox