Ranking
Originally Posted by Erth View Post
I should explain, I'm using the sword 2 handed, so am only using the shield for the effect until I have enough strength for 1 handed

In terms of build, I'm wanting to take it up to 50 strength.
I am FULLY aware that in terms of stats it's pointless to progress past aprox. 40, according to a friend of a friend who plays dark souls avidly, but it'll be super fun from what I can see :P

50 str lets you 1hand the dgs. It has good raw base damage, and IMO it's a fun weapon to rush. At only 50 str it probably has more damage than others too (but not good scaling and only 5 upgrades available).

Tanking everything is pretty funny, I found it really hilarious when you go fight whatever boss and you just hold block and they can't do anything. I always preferred heaviest highest damage weapon and no armour, because it's more challenging and rewards timing and skill, which I find more interesting than say, full defensive or fast dex weapons. Zwei has better animation the bkgs or dgs so if you want something easier you can go that (or abandon str entirely and go ez mode dext? :P).

And yeah I'm sure you know how to already, but parry and bs let you kill stuff a lot faster. For a humanoid enemy (except non-final bosses) you can just walk up to them and parry riposte for instagib. It also has invulnerable frames, so you can go all "assassin's creed" and parry riposte or roll bs one at a time, even if you are fighting 20 enemies.

A good way to parry, if you can't be bothered memorizing timings, is to just parry when the enemy's frontswing animation is finished, you can parry any time up until the backswing begins - obviously unless you animation cancel that means you can't parry /after/ you are hit.
Last edited by ImmortalPig; Mar 23, 2014 at 08:43 AM.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
50 str lets you 1hand the dgs. It has good raw base damage, and IMO it's a fun weapon to rush. At only 50 str it probably has more damage than others too (but not good scaling and only 5 upgrades available).

Tanking everything is pretty funny, I found it really hilarious when you go fight whatever boss and you just hold block and they can't do anything. I always preferred heaviest highest damage weapon and no armour, because it's more challenging and rewards timing and skill, which I find more interesting than say, full defensive or fast dex weapons. Zwei has better animation the bkgs or dgs so if you want something easier you can go that (or abandon str entirely and go ez mode dext? :P).

And yeah I'm sure you know how to already, but parry and bs let you kill stuff a lot faster. For a humanoid enemy (except non-final bosses) you can just walk up to them and parry riposte for instagib. It also has invulnerable frames, so you can go all "assassin's creed" and parry riposte or roll bs one at a time, even if you are fighting 20 enemies.

A good way to parry, if you can't be bothered memorizing timings, is to just parry when the enemy's frontswing animation is finished, you can parry any time up until the backswing begins - obviously unless you animation cancel that means you can't parry /after/ you are hit.

Been trying to parry but can't quite seem to clinch it, there's like a 50/50 chance I get it.
Just need to practice more, but yeah, gonna need to do that more.
As for the tanking everything is funny, it's the most fun I've had on a char.
I made a dex, a mage and tank, got up to undead parish, decided which one I prefered and carried on with that one, tank pretty much hands down.
I strongly suspect as I get into the finer points, the other builds will be just as fun, but for now, running around slamming everything into the floor while my friend behind me, who is a mage, sits there shouting "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO KILL RICARD IN 1"

Originally Posted by snake View Post
chaos rapier +5 in right hand
lightning rapier +5 in left hand

no bs just parry. running sl3 pvp and pve

Will probably try a duel wieldy thing after this. I dunno, it looks like it could be a lot of fun
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.
Yup, I think that is the best build for anyone who can't be bothered with timings :P

Thrusting swords don't need knowledge of dead angles, don't need good timings, don't need patients or to worry about your backswing or frontswing timings. Fast attack weapons are excellent

A lot of the time it's not even necessary to parry, since you can counterattack and still receive some damage buff and if it's an enemy with low poise or a slow attack you can still dodge.

A good thing to do is to use dwgr with rapiers, the game will be so easy it's hilarious!

But be careful in pvp because if the lag swings out of your favor you can easily be killed. Be very careful of the instability of the servers when you are running a cheese strat!

Originally Posted by Erth View Post
Been trying to parry but can't quite seem to clinch it, there's like a 50/50 chance I get it.
Just need to practice more, but yeah, gonna need to do that more.

Hit parry when you see the enemy's weapon move towards you, it's just a matter of getting that reflex ingrained :P

Some people prefer to practice against a specific boss (obviously not for parry) or mob, but honestly I think it's a terrible idea to play to counter 1 boss, since the gameplay against them is all identical.
Last edited by ImmortalPig; Mar 23, 2014 at 12:16 PM.
Originally Posted by Facade View Post
I've always loved the Lifehunt scythe, couple it with the Bloodbite ring and blood shield and it's one of my favorite PVP combinations.

And a lightning sicle for turtles. But the run attack of life hunt is so good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Yup, I think that is the best build for anyone who can't be bothered with timings :P

Thrusting swords don't need knowledge of dead angles, don't need good timings, don't need patients or to worry about your backswing or frontswing timings. Fast attack weapons are excellent

A lot of the time it's not even necessary to parry, since you can counterattack and still receive some damage buff and if it's an enemy with low poise or a slow attack you can still dodge.

A good thing to do is to use dwgr with rapiers, the game will be so easy it's hilarious!

But be careful in pvp because if the lag swings out of your favor you can easily be killed. Be very careful of the instability of the servers when you are running a cheese strat!

exactly. since you have no shield you must rely on dodge or parry and learn timings in pvp

did i mentioned zero poise?

ahd and btw, zero poise no shield builds aren't consideres as cheese as far as i know, unless it's mage
Last edited by snake; Mar 23, 2014 at 01:06 PM.
exactly. since you have no shield you must rely on dodge or parry and learn timings in pvp

ahd and btw, zero poise no shield builds aren't consideres as cheese as far as i know, unless it's mage

I roll around in PvP with artoris armor and +5 fire estoc. Bitches don't know what hit them when I ring switch to hornets.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well I'd call high dex dual wield dwgr definitely a cheese :P
After all you are trying to make it as easy as possible to score hits and abuse lag timings while having the biggest possible invulnerable window.

The worst part about pvp is the way lag fluctuates, a timing that worked 10 seconds ago might not work, and hell if your opponent is using dex weapons then their attack might actually hit before they finish the roll on your screen. If they roll in attack roll out, you might have to start your parry before their roll is even half done XD

If you run a high timing build like an 2hr ugs then you might miss a few times, but if you hit you can squash them like bugs :P

For me pvp is not that great anyway, the lag just sucks way too much, pvp is mostly luck sadly. I played forest for a while because then if you are lucky you get to fight 2 enemies at once and get double the loot. Also it's fun to parry riposte and weapon switch to 2hr ugs and hornet or dead angle a turtler and get rage messages :P
Does anyone else feel bad after killing the first market food for the uchikatana? He says a girls name when you do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]