Toribash
View Poll Results: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
A
0 Votes / 0%
B
0 Votes / 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

I'm sorry Flex, but I can't seem to detect the oxymoron in your poem. I'm not sure if the oxymoron is really implicit or if it requires a lateral form of interpretation in order to be seen. Either way, I can't seem to see what could be oxymoronic about your poem. It is a nice poem, though. Really simple and haunting, just like Sadako without all of the TV-related horseshit.
-----
Scratch that, I've misinterpreted your sentence. My bad.

And yes, being good at writing bad poetry has got to be one of the most polar oxymorons ever.

Your poem isn't all that bad actually. It's simplicity makes it all the more ... somber. Kinda like a pale dude in a plain black suit standing all alone in a graveyard.
Last edited by Trick; Apr 28, 2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
fl0w
I managed to find the riddle... here goes :

There is a dictator, who controls a very small country with a population of 100 people. One day, he decides to test if his country is intelligent so he goes to them and says "Tomorrow, I will line you up single file so that the person in the back can see everyone else, and the person in the front can see no one. I will then place a hat on each of your heads, either red or blue (the specific colors are irrelevent, you may request a different set of colors, and the distribution of the hats can be anything, 50/50, 83 red, 17 blue, or any combination of hats to make one hundred). Nobody will be allowed to talk or move unless I speak to them first, at which point they may only say one word and that word can either be blue or red, anything more and everyone dies. I will go to the person in the back, I will ask him what color hat he has, and I will begin a timer set for five minutes. At the end of this timer he must immediately say either "red" or "blue". If he answers correctly, he will live, if not, he will be shot in the head, so everybody knows he was wrong. I will proceed up the line asking each person. If you are intelligent enough, you will come up with a strategy to save at least 99 of the people in your town, If not, too bad. good luck." There are no bullshit answers like hold up a mirror, and they cannot see their own hats, there is a real answers.

My answer is this...

-----
Also Timee, I was saying that one prince could tell the others what hats they have on, not his own... so he could save either one of them or both... That would mean he's a good, loving, brave brother
Last edited by TheMpk; Apr 28, 2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Yes but if he can only say one word, the person in front of him will probably think he was just wrong.
"In my opinion, the existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon." -Jon Osterman
Well, as for training people in sparring, I seriously doubt id be a good teacher, seeing as im not too great myself. I cant teach mutch more than running, mindsets, and tips, but if anyone wants to im up for trying
Last edited by sabreon; Apr 28, 2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typo
Yes Sab, I'm up for it. Me and Timee
-----
And Ysome like I said, my solution works only supposing that the person in front catches on to the hint... Still.. they have one day ahead to plan a strategy so I doubt he would not know, and if he would not know he could just take a guess, the chances are 50/50 to get a red or blue hat cause those are the only colors. Who knows he might just save the people in front of him as well as himself...
Last edited by TheMpk; Apr 28, 2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Allright, i may be able to get trunkster to help out.
As for when ill do it, im pretty tired(think ive been up for over 24 hrs) so itl have to be after three on a weekday.....probobly
Unless you want to do it right now...tho like i said im tired
Well the one and only Oblivion is on erthtk, if you wanna do it after he leaves im down
------------------------
Alright hes gone, ill be in our server
Last edited by sabreon; Apr 28, 2013 at 07:00 PM. Reason: stuf hapend
Originally Posted by TheMpk View Post
I managed to find the riddle... here goes :

There is a dictator, who controls a very small country with a population of 100 people. One day, he decides to test if his country is intelligent so he goes to them and says "Tomorrow, I will line you up single file so that the person in the back can see everyone else, and the person in the front can see no one. I will then place a hat on each of your heads, either red or blue (the specific colors are irrelevent, you may request a different set of colors, and the distribution of the hats can be anything, 50/50, 83 red, 17 blue, or any combination of hats to make one hundred). Nobody will be allowed to talk or move unless I speak to them first, at which point they may only say one word and that word can either be blue or red, anything more and everyone dies. I will go to the person in the back, I will ask him what color hat he has, and I will begin a timer set for five minutes. At the end of this timer he must immediately say either "red" or "blue". If he answers correctly, he will live, if not, he will be shot in the head, so everybody knows he was wrong. I will proceed up the line asking each person. If you are intelligent enough, you will come up with a strategy to save at least 99 of the people in your town, If not, too bad. good luck." There are no bullshit answers like hold up a mirror, and they cannot see their own hats, there is a real answers.

My answer is this...

Your answer

Looks to me that this problem requires math more than simple logic, boolean or otherwise, since the actual distribution of the hats are not given (and thus is irrelevant). There's probably an elegant solution, but I'll have to think about it for a bit. I can't quite remember if I've heard of something like this before or not, but it does seem somewhat familiar.
The only way that 99% of the people would be saved is by having one of one colour and 99 of the other. The person in the back would assume that since he only sees blue, or all blue and one white, that he has a blue hat. Since he has a chance of being shot anyway, he would say more than the one word he is given and shout "everyone has blue hats."
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.