Toribash
I usually pick 125 years and have it stop with (a)bort at around 50 years. Megabeasts aren't that strong yet then.
Also, just let your weaponsmith forge loads of iron bolts, he'll get legendary quite quickly.
I usually go for 125 years, but anywhere around 50 years, it goes slow, and when I try to abort, it does so around 80 years.
Preparing to fight some ninja squirrels...
"Ground level" of the Tower of Oranges (Click for unnecessarily large version):

I've got drawbridge entrances at the top and bottom, with barracks and dining rooms for the two squads that guard those entrances. Far right is the barracks for my marksdwarves, with a firing range upstairs. Top right and bottom left are towers for sieges (I've still got to do the top left and bottom right). Central building is a tower in progress (it's only about 4 stories tall so far) and houses the central staircase of the fortress. It's also got drawbridges that I can pull up to keep nasties out in case the walls get breached.

Haven't bothered screenshotting the subterranean levels yet, but I've got farms, some empty rooms dug out for cave trees to grow, workshop and storage levels, a main dining hall & kitchens, water drawn from the river for wells in addition to a nice waterfall decontamination shower just before the dining hall (the drainage tunnel is completely covered in blood), bedrooms deeper down, and way down I've got magma furnaces and forges cranking out steel armor and weapons for the military.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
So I tried my hand at depicting the demise of my latest adventurer (on a young, 50 year old world this time, to test Shook's theory) with a Shook style comic.

Spoiler'd for your convenience

Some goblin appeared out of thin air after my epic battle with a goblin boss and mortally wounded me with a backstab in one hit
And no, I can't draw maces, and I tried my best to make the halberd not look like a banana on a stick.
As a side note, Shook's theory may be correct. The goblin bandits were tough, for sure (and really good at dodging), but nowhere near as powerful as the bandits I encountered on my 300 year world. Although this may just be because they were goblins.

EDIT: Giant horseshoe crabs have been the hardest thing to kill I have ever encountered. Good thing they're not too tough, preferring to shove me onto my arse and then run for it.
EDIT2: I spoke too soon. One of them shattered my middle spine and punched my head in
Last edited by 4zb41; Apr 18, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Giant horseshoe crabs are evil.
Goblins are evil.
Especially backstabbers.

I just set fire to a tree and now the entire forest is on fire. I had to run and go across a river, but I caught fire anyway. So I leapt off a cliff and my adventurer's death was rather swift...
May Shaun Engiabo rest in peace... as a zombie... when I get the ability to raise the dead...
Originally Posted by hanz0 View Post
"Ground level" of the Tower of Oranges (Click for unnecessarily large version):

I've got drawbridge entrances at the top and bottom, with barracks and dining rooms for the two squads that guard those entrances. Far right is the barracks for my marksdwarves, with a firing range upstairs. Top right and bottom left are towers for sieges (I've still got to do the top left and bottom right). Central building is a tower in progress (it's only about 4 stories tall so far) and houses the central staircase of the fortress. It's also got drawbridges that I can pull up to keep nasties out in case the walls get breached.

Haven't bothered screenshotting the subterranean levels yet, but I've got farms, some empty rooms dug out for cave trees to grow, workshop and storage levels, a main dining hall & kitchens, water drawn from the river for wells in addition to a nice waterfall decontamination shower just before the dining hall (the drainage tunnel is completely covered in blood), bedrooms deeper down, and way down I've got magma furnaces and forges cranking out steel armor and weapons for the military.

Ohhh, that's nice. What's the hotkey for screenshotting a full z-level?
Also, did you dig a trench under your drawbridge?
Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
Ohhh, that's nice. What's the hotkey for screenshotting a full z-level?
Also, did you dig a trench under your drawbridge?

I'm not sure if there is one (there probably is) - I just did a couple screenshots and stuck them together in PS.

I didn't, because drawbridges turn into walls when you raise them.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
B&B&B&
Without a trench, that drawbridge can be destroyed easily by enemy invasions...

Also, there isn't a key for a full z-level screenshot that I'm aware of. If there is, then I probably missed it in the key bindings menu.
Originally Posted by sbanen View Post
Without a trench, that drawbridge can be destroyed easily by enemy invasions...

Nope, drawbridges aren't affected by building destroyers. Only dorfs can remove them (or magma, if they're not magma safe), hence making them THÉ safest doors in the game. Of course, there is the risk of crushing people (which is good), and they have a slight delay on input from levers (which is not good), but i go with bridges all day. Hell, they can do most things that doors and hatches can, and you don't need a workshop to make them.

@4zb41: Seems legit enough, some enemies take forever to down. :U
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
Originally Posted by shook View Post
Nope, drawbridges aren't affected by building destroyers. Only dorfs can remove them (or magma, if they're not magma safe), hence making them THÉ safest doors in the game. Of course, there is the risk of crushing people (which is good), and they have a slight delay on input from levers (which is not good), but i go with bridges all day. Hell, they can do most things that doors and hatches can, and you don't need a workshop to make them.

Bridge-five! o/

(also "THÉ" heh)

B&B&B&