Ranking
If you're judging the new season by Vampires in Venice or The Beast Below, you really shouldn't. They were clearly just pure fun episodes that had a bit of character development/introduction tacked on. Personally, I think that everyone is just being way too critical of the new season, what you don't remember is all the mediocre/crap episodes from the previous seasons.
[CENTER]
lead Sigma
Yes, but at least in the previous series the good outweighed the bad by astronomical amounts.

Just finished watching Amy's Choice. I'd say that it was the best episode of the new series so far, but like always, no where near as good as the majority of episodes from Eccelston's and Tennant's runs.
Originally Posted by phail View Post
If you're judging the new season by Vampires in Venice or The Beast Below, you really shouldn't. They were clearly just pure fun episodes that had a bit of character development/introduction tacked on. Personally, I think that everyone is just being way too critical of the new season, what you don't remember is all the mediocre/crap episodes from the previous seasons.

The Beast Below was an old who fan wank about a canon creature. I find it funny that they played the "last of the species" card again, yet they decided to make fun of it in the hungry earth.

Vampires in venice was no different to the evil school headmaster guy with rose, or the charles dickins thing with the spirits.

P.S. Moved to Music/Movie chat (soon to be Entertainment chat)
New episode was really good. It wasn't very doctor who-ish (a lot more drama in it than sci-fi) and it was definately the best out of the 'let's go visit a famous artist from history' episodes. It is on my top five for the best episodes I've seen ever.

PS: The actor for Van Gogh was absolutely great.
[CENTER]
lead Sigma
Ha, I just finished watching the episode myself.

It was great, I'm still alittle angry they killed Rory in the episode beforehand, but I liked the subtle way they made references to it in this episode, like Amy mentioning to Van Gogh that she is not the marrying type, or that seemingly random teardrop scene.
oh yeah
It was a nice episode. The writing was good imo, and it was interesting since it didnt seem to directly deal with the actual monster, but more with the interactions between the doctor/Amy and Van Gogh.

I agree with bishop, as I thought it was interesting that they never spoke directly of Rory after his death. I guess we can see that the doctor still remembers Rory, and everything seems to subtly hint that Rory isnt gone still.

THE ULTIMATE GINGER
5:13 PM - vasp: everybody's nuts is so good
[00:18:38] <&vespesi3n> you should see when i swallow
[21:49:37] <&vespesi3n> >my mouth when
[21:49:43] <&vespesi3n> >my tastebuds when
All in all I'm liking this series. There's actually kind of a plot with the cracks in time rather than a series of random episodes.
Welcome to an Infernity of pain
Proud VorteXian
Using a machine to solve everything was annoying to me. It would have been better if they used paint - and would have served as a much much better metaphor for van goghs state of mind.
Last edited by phail; Jun 8, 2010 at 10:12 AM.