Toribash
View Poll Results: Will you try training with hand grippers in the future?
yes
6 Votes / 24.00%
no
6 Votes / 24.00%
maybe
6 Votes / 24.00%
This is a bad idea and you should feel bad for doing this.
7 Votes / 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

Original Post
Hand strength training.
I purchased some insanely difficult hand grip training supplies online, specifically these hand grippers, because they're cheaper than the captain of crush hand grippers however not quite as accurate, and I want to be able to crush tough things with my bare hands in the future:

here

Currently, I am about a third of an inch from closing the 150 pound one. A week ago i cut up my hands trying to close it like 5 times, ripped open the skin at the second finger joint on all of my fingers on both hands, should probably also have bought the hundred pound one but figured I was a strong guy and could do it. Unfortunately I was mistaken, I also bought a cheapo 1 dollar one from some dollar store a week after i bought the nice ones because i wanted something to do while bored waiting for my hands to recover because doing 100's of closes with the metal is not happening anytime soon, however the cheapo ones have soft rubbery grip so thats nice.

I hope to get better at this and close it within a week and start training with the 200 as well. If any of you have ever done this sort of hand training before or have interest in these sorts of things post here.

Progress is happening and if you'd like updates or pictures on this let me know and i'll post it here.

for context I am a skinny mofo but am strong for my size, at 122-135 (varies due to the stresses of school and eating schedules, and hope to get up to around 180 in muscle eventually) and a ridiculous 5'11'' I can bench my weight no problem and can do 20+ pull ups/dips no problems, lost a bit of strength recently due to a biking accident, where i had internal bleeding and almost had to get my spleen removed, however Ive fully recovered from that now with spleen intact, so have been trying to get back up to where I was and beyond.

either way tell me about your hand training experiences, provide and receive moral support, and let me know about your adventures in experiencing extreme grip pressure.
🫷🦚🫸
You missed out the most pressing question, for what purpose do you want to have 150 pounds of squeeze strength?
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I found when it comes grip exercise you need to give the tendons a lot of time, compared to muscles, to heal.

I only thought about this when i was rock climbing, so i was more concerned with hyper extending finger tendons with "crimping". Seriously though you don't want to blow out the tendons in your hand.
aint nothing to it but to do it
You will not increase your strength by pushing the same resistances over and over again. Not in the long run anyway. Nor is it wise to start off as heavy as possible and go from there.
It is far more efficient to start off with low weight and gradually increase it until you reach a max, then unload and start increasing again until you reach a new max etc.
That's why I think that those tools you bought are not particularly efficient for the sake of increasing max strength. They may be good for warm-ups or auxiliary exercises, but should not become the main thing you do.
If you want to increase your grip strength, the some good ways are to simply pick up shit and carry it around, hang onto bars with a timer and add weight as soon as you beat a certain time (anything between 20 seconds and 1 min should work), and shit like that. Climbing and similar sports would probably also help a shitton.
Do as Redundant said as well as letting your Tendons rest, muscle is pointless when you're always on the verge of injury. I started slowly on my wrists and moved to my fingers because I always wanted to learn Tiger Claw.

Try these a couple of times. Instead of flat hands on the ground when doing push ups extend your fingers like you're holding a basketball in one hand and try doing push ups.

Also you can and do gain muscle when you use the same weight, it's about how hard and long you go and the different workouts and muscle stretches you know. Unless you want muscle that turn to fat when you stop working out.

Flex Stretching is a slow process of keeping the muscles flexible as they grow. It's practically some of the movements of tai chi yoga or whatever. Slow muscle men will laugh at your small tight agile flexible muscle.

The Chinese know too much about the body and herbs an whatnot. Yoga or Tai Chi WILL prevent and reduce injury in your joints.
Last edited by T0ribush; Sep 22, 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Redundant and T0ribush, I'm currently only doing this three times a week following this rep exercise guide thing:

here

6-8 repetitions on a very easy gripper each hand. I do this just to get a little blood flowing to my hands. Those cheap store bought grippers work fine for this.

6-8 repetitions with a very easy gripper each hand, but this time do it inverted.

HG100 Closes – 3 each hand, and 3 attempts inverted

Workout:

HG150 (goal gripper) Attempts – 5 each hand, and 5 inverted too

Negatives* with HG200 – 3 negatives each hand, holding for 3-5 seconds each time

Braced or Choked Attempts* on HG150 – 3-4 each hand depending on how tired your hands are

minus the 100 because i didnt buy it and its for warmup

I'm most worried that i'll have unbalanced hand muscles and the flexors won't be able to keep up with the crushing grip muscles.

Why I'm doing this: I want to have extreme grip. Simple as that LOL.
🫷🦚🫸
The word Redundant was looking for was "Progressive Overload". Things need to get harder or your body stops adapting.

There's a principle in weight lifting revolving around specialization. Basically it says "The more you train your muscles to do what you actually need them to do, the more transference your training will lead into performance." Example: if you're a football player, you should have a different squat technique than a basketball player because you start your explosiveness from a different position.

If I wanted to work on grip strength, I'd be doing farmer's walks, deadlifts, and shrugs.
Last edited by Bodhisattva; Sep 23, 2014 at 01:33 AM.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
That's why I bought 3 of them, once the 150 becomes too easy i'll move on to the 200, and then the 250, then i'll buy some more. But that is a long ways away. I see where you're getting at Dr. Hax, but I think these are a good tool to train with and will let you get to that next level of dead lifts shrugs and farmers walks, because your hands will be ready for it. This is by no means the only exercise I suggest doing, just one that I think is beneficial to do for your personal object squeezing enjoyment, in addition to whatever you're doing.
🫷🦚🫸
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
"The more you train your muscles to do what you actually need them to do, the more transference your training will lead into performance."

Isnt that just a fancy way to say "work your dorsiflexion muscles"?

highly unlikely that anybody needs grip strength
[8:12:11 AM] Yara Sparkle: come to netherlands everyone is naked.