Toribash
Originally Posted by AikidoKP View Post
We've dealt with this problem before. There's the laws, then there's understanding the laws.

Yes, math is integral for the understanding of these laws, but it is the laws themselves that govern how we understand them. The human brain is ruled by the laws of physics, and without them, we wouldn't be here.

I'm talking about the study of the subject. You're talking about something else. If there were no laws of physics sure there would be no way for things to work the universe as we know it might collapse, but all the laws of physics are in some way based on numbers and at the end of the day everything that exists can boil down to numbers in one way or another. Using the same logic, if numbers didn't exist physics wouldn't work in the slightest, and the same thing would happen.

"[11:17pm] Thorn: I'm gonna have to ask you to stop being so productive"
Our understanding of physics would collapse, yes. I'm not arguing that point.

However, saying that it's based on numbers doesn't mean that the universe would collapse without them. Everything is based on physics. Whether or not we understand it is irrelevant (in this situation).
-- Jet -- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. --
[Secret]AikidoKP

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefor I exist.

I know it's true because it says so right here in this signature.
Our understanding of physics would collapse if he had no understanding of maths.
However if the laws of maths collapses/ceased to exists so would almost all if not all the laws of physics. Everything is based on numbers and the universe would collapse without them. I don't see how you could contest that. Ask a physics professor in your university. I'm not talking about the study of the subject here.
Gravity, relativity , nuclear forces, electricity, the way electrons behave are all dependant on numbers that tell them how to behave. Without those mathematical laws there would be no way for anything to behave, i.e: no laws of physics, i.e: the collapse of the universe.
Last edited by Text; Jun 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

"[11:17pm] Thorn: I'm gonna have to ask you to stop being so productive"
Would u please get it out of your mind that math is only numbers.....that is only 1 visual aspect of it, the numbers only put quantity into a more visual process....

take a story problem for example (withought numbers)

Sally goes north for a long time then she makes a sharp right turn for another long time how far is she from home.....

with out numbers how would mathematics explain that to someone and make it comprehensible the quantity of paces are still there, with or without numbers it would just be extremely hard.

By the way this is a Physics question also determining distance over time, which in actuality to determine anything in this question u need math, Ill get you numbers and variables once u realize u know nothing about this answer.

Physics person answers this : really far

Math person asnwer: Well she started off north X hours/mins then she Makes a right turn assuming its a Right angle for X amount of time as well, Well her best best to to make a half shar right turn again and continue strait....However some physics genius thought math was just a tool and forgot to bring it so we failed to count paces or time,
Meh well let the physics ppl wing it.....
YES I DID, I ALSO GOT ONE FOR TEAGUE, KYLE, AND AAKAAASHH

HOOKERS A PLENTY
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥((((/\/\WOLFE ORKO/\/\))))♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Originally Posted by MrAakash View Post
Our understanding of physics would collapse if he had no understanding of maths.
However if the laws of maths collapses/ceased to exists so would almost all if not all the laws of physics. Everything is based on numbers and the universe would collapse without them. I don't see how you could contest that. Ask a physics professor in your university. I'm not talking about the study of the subject here.
Gravity, relativity , nuclear forces, electricity, the way electrons behave are all dependant on numbers that tell them how to behave. Without those mathematical laws there would be no way for anything to behave, i.e: no laws of physics, i.e: the collapse of the universe.

That's like saying if you take away language, ideas cease to exist.
They still exist, it would just be harder to get them across.
In the same way, the laws of physics would still exist, it would just be harder to understand them. Numbers don't define things, they're just our way of understanding them. Even if you claim they exist independently of agents (So it isn't limited to humans and someone doesn't bring up "Well, then aliens can think of numbers"), they still would have no tangible effect on how the physical universe works. They explain, they help us understand, and that's it.

Teague, this answer applies to your story as well, didn't want a wall of quote going on though =P

Originally Posted by Kunamikaii View Post
YES I DID, I ALSO GOT ONE FOR TEAGUE, KYLE, AND AAKAAASHH

HOOKERS A PLENTY

Awwwwww yeah =D
-- Jet -- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. --
[Secret]AikidoKP

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefor I exist.

I know it's true because it says so right here in this signature.
I just noticed, I have exactly 66666 TC.
<&Erth> fagm <&Erth> duck <&Erth> *fuck
Fagm duck fuck everyone.