Toribash
Original Post
Burial: Dubstep? [MSC]
I have been listening to alot of dubstep of late and the artist Burial was first introduced to me this year as a dubstep artist. Now I am no idiot and self proclomation of a genre is very important however as a scholar of music and a producer I understand how to classify music and distinguis between genre's and sub genre's.
Burial lacks nearly every quality of a dubstep sound from the warbeling basslines to the tempo reduced drumloops.
in comparison to one of the most well known dubbers Rusko there is practicaly no similarity.
Now dont get me wrong, Im not saying atists of a genre should all sound the same but Burial lacks the things that distinguish dubstep. He may have the occasional metalic bassline but not much on the side of a warble and never a drop.
Dubstep has only recently been recognised as a popular genre so it still has to grow and we see the emergance of its sub-genres like death-dub and chilled dub. but to compare it to a more esttableshed Genre like house music perhaps Burial is the first of the Minimal dub revolution...

This is all speculation on a topic that has baffled me for months and I would love the opinion of some one who understands music and dubstep more than I do and is better educated on the subject.
Last edited by Helucinate; Jan 14, 2011 at 07:49 AM.
Masqued