Toribash
Flood - Boris (2000)

Flood by Boris, is an album that is genuinely difficult to describe, often being described as drone it is so much more than that. It is the best concept album i have ever heard, as it's able to get the concept off without being able to understand the lyrics. Japanese primarily metal band Boris has always been incredibly experimental, but they have never been as experimental as their 3rd record Flood, a hypnotic "drone" record almost describing the before, after, and during stages of a tsunami with only their instruments. The Lo-Fi analog recording this album was created with creates an air of comfort, but also unease.

Flood 1: Flood part 1 starts off the album as hypnotic as it gets, somehow perfectly repetitive, a single guitar riff echoes onto itself creating a layer of sounds that clings onto you and refuses to let go. Starting around 6 minutes in, massive reverberating drums fade in and out. Singular drum hits pelting the track until the storm breaks, releasing a monsoon of genuinely panic inducing pounding. *(this hadn't occurred to me until now but this might also represent the earthquake that causes the tsunami, i have spent 3 years with this album and its still giving me new interpretations)*

Flood 2: After the storm, all seems fine for a while, blissful ignorance like a rainbow. The instrumentation on this song is absolutely beautiful, a slow drum beat with a relaxing progression, and swelling ambience whisks you away until the absolutely mesmerizing leads with an excellent thick, fuzzy tone that come in and sweep you off your feet, reminding you that the flood is yet to come as the tide rises.

Flood 3: The tide recedes a final time, allowing you your final moments of rest. Somber vocals somehow made eerie, remind me of an angel that appears before disasters. an absolutely emotionally devastating aura is created, until finally the tsunami hits, and the landscape is destroyed by the flood of noise. Roaring guitars sink you under the waves, and tries to drown you. Droning leads wash you away into the ocean, demanding control, and overpowering the land with the unmatched power of the ocean.

Flood 4 As the same riff plays over, and over fading out slowly, often the most criticized track just being the same thing for 21 minutes, I believe personally to be an absolutely necessary closer. Leaving you with time to regain composure. The flood is over, and the land needs time to heal, Flood part 4 represents the aftermath of the tsunami. Creating a wall of unpassable noise, as the track echoes to a close.

Flood is a masterpiece, an hour and ten minutes of music that is genuinely baffling to have been created by human beings. It surpasses Boris as a band entirely, and it will live on as one of the single greatest pieces of art to have ever been created.

10/10